WHAT: Famous Cathedral Balcony Speech and Procession by the Patron Saint of Fribourg
MEETING POINT: 15:00, Saturday 02.12.2017, outside Fribourg train station
WHAT TO BRING: Coat and warm clothes, cash for the Christmas Market
REGISTRATION: Not necessary!
This is a very special and heartwarming time of year for the citizens of Fribourg!! Our beloved Patron Saint, Saint Nicolas, returns for his annual visit to the town at the start of the Christmas and Winter season. Festivities are rife, as up to 30,000 people from the town, canton and further afield show their excitement with a big warm welcome for good ol’ Saint Nicolas himself!
Join us on the afternoon of Saturday 2nd December, as we walk down through the old-town exploring the Christmas Markets of the occasion and enjoying a some great Glühwein, before waiting in front of the cathedral for the best view of the special procession, and the all-important cathedral balcony speech at 19:00 !! Saint Nicolas will address the children and citizens of Fribourg in both French and German, with words of reflection and encouragement on the past and the future!
• There will be no rigid plan for this event. We will agree some meeting points and times on the day, but you are welcome to explore the festivities in your own time if you wish
• The market is open all day on Saturday 2nd December, the procession will begin at approximately 5pm from Collège Saint-Michel and finish in front of the Cathedral before the speech at 7pm.
• We recommend waiting at the Cathedral up to 90 minutes in advance to reserve the best standing space – you will still have plenty of access to the market stalls!
• There is also the official weekend opening at Collège Saint-Michel, on Friday evening 01.12.2017, and a family activity day on Sunday 03.12.2017.
• Full details and programme can be found at these web addresses:
We look forward to seeing you there, and enjoying this very special day in the festive season together with all your Erasmus Buddies!
- Everyone is invited.